[x264-devel] Re: Multipass encoding with CBR

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 10:24:23 CET 2006

Hi,

On 2/22/06, Josef Zlomek <josef.zlomek at xeris.cz> wrote:

[..]

> I have also tried to set the VBV buffer size to the minimal allowed size
> (10 * bitrate / fps), and even lower (1 * bitrate / fps) after removing the min
> size check from code, but that did not help.
> The bitrate was too high for quite a long time (more than 5 seconds) in some
> parts of the video. This does not look like it was flushing the small buffer.

As Loren pointed out, the solution to your problem is not to decrease
the codec buffer but to make sure that your clients buffer enough
data.

That should take care of the keyframe bitrate busts problem.

I agree that it's not an easy solution as it's difficult to control
what video client your user will have, but you may have noticed that
most if not all video browser video playback pluggins fill a buffer
before starting to play.

Guillaume
--
Reinventing the wheel certainly is annoying, but as long as all other
wheels are square...

Reimar Döffinger