[x264-devel] Re: Can the locations of asm codes of x264 be thinked as any cues of optimized area for dsp?

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 09:26:57 CET 2006

HI,

On 2/24/06, ycigcom <lmh at ycig.com> wrote:
>        Can  the locations of asm-codes in the x264 project be thinked  as
> any cues of the optimized area for dsp, when i port x264 codes to TI's dsp?
> Or we must be fully according to real conditions ,for example some global
> performance supervise tools.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean, but if you meant "is it
a safe bet to assume that the ASM files speed-up some hot spot of the
encoder, therefore if I port them to my DSP, I'll get a nice speed-up"
the answer is IMHO yes.

However, you'll be well advised to profile the running C version on
your DSP prior to porting any ASM file as the behaviour of DSPs and
quite different from general purpose CPU, and DSP compilers do not
serve the same purpose as those for general purpose CPU, so I wouldn't
be surprised if the profiling figures were somewhat different.

Good luck,

Guillaume
--
Reinventing the wheel certainly is annoying, but as long as all other
wheels are square...

Reimar Döffinger