[x264-devel] Influence delay B-Frames on playout

Davy De Winter davy.dewinter at intec.ugent.be
Wed Jan 4 14:45:09 CET 2006

Hi,

we've written a streamer using the x264-codec as encoder and ffmpeg as
decoder. We wanted to test the influence on the playout-delay of the
different parameters on encoder-side. We measured delay by continuously
synchronizing the encoder & decoder (so the drift from our local
NTP-server is below 1 ms). We took 2 timestamps: before grabbing the
input-frame (from a framegrabber) and just after displaying the frame at
the client. By subtracting these 2 values, we got in a 4 minute-sample
(6000 frames) the following average values:
0-bframes: 86.6 ms
1-bframe: 136 ms
2-bframe: 181 ms
As can be seen, the average delay is always augmented by more or less
the time of capturing one extra frame. However, 1 expected when using
b-frames, the delay would augment by num_of_bframes * frame_readtime.
Thus in the case of 1 b-frame: 80 ms extra delay instead of only 40 ms.
As the encoder sends out the frames in playout-order and not (as I
expected) in encoding-order when using b-frames, I wonder how the
decoder "knows" how to decode a B-frame if het didn't receive the
(future) P-or I-frame the B-frame encoder depends on. Or is this
information included in the parameter-sets?

Can someone clarify this?

Thx!
Davy.