[x264-devel] Re: bit allocation algorithms among frames

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Fri Jul 14 08:37:29 CEST 2006

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Loren Merritt wrote:

> Interesting idea, but it requires random access in the encoder, which makes it
> O(movie length * # of QPs * GOP size).

Nah, just run the algorithm in smaller (sliding?) windows several times
until the end of the movie, so you just need to buffer some frames (just
like now).

The question is just how much the window size affects the results.

> Also, there must be some way to start with an approximation of a good bit
> allocation, rather than decrementing from qp=51.

That is what I was thinking. Maybe you could first pick good guesses for
all QPs in all frames, then pick a frame where changing the QP improves the
result the most, then either increment or decrement the QP, depending
whether the current bitrate is too low or high. I'm not sure if it is
possible to modify the algorithm to also increase QPs when necessary,
probably there is some reason to disallow that, but maybe the limitation
could be overcome?

Heck, this is almost like motion estimation: in ME you try to minimize
distortion+lambda*rate by changing mvx and mvy, why not trying to minimize
distortion+lambda*rate among frames by changing a vector of QPs?