[x264-devel] Re: encoding with lots of small slices

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Thu Jul 20 15:08:55 CEST 2006

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Michael Roitzsch wrote:

> for a research project I am trying to create H.264 files with lots of small
> slices. I realise that the code of x264 limits the amount of slices. Maybe you
> can give me some starters, which assumptions would break if this limitation is
> removed. I already tried to encode videos with 128 slices and more, but as soon
> as slices do not start with the first macroblock of a macroblock row, but
> somewhere in the middle of a row, the video looks wrong when decoded with
> FFmpeg's H.264 decoder. This could of course be a bug in FFmpeg, but I guess

I recommend doing a few more tests...
- Does it break when there are more than 128 slices or when the slice
  doesn't begin from the beginning of a row?
- Better try to decode the stream with JM to verify that the problem is in
  [your modified version of] x264.

I would guess that the x264 code simply assumes that slices begin
from left edge of a frame.