[x264-devel] Re: issues compiling vlc with x264

Bill May wmay at cisco.com
Thu Jul 20 19:19:23 CEST 2006

Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
>> I don't remember seeing anything about a possible API change, and looking
>> through my past emails for the last week or 2, I don't see
>> anything; in the future, would it be possible to have backward
>> compatibility ?  Or at least alert us with API change coming
>> in an email message ?
>
> Since there hasn't been any formal release, I guess the API shouldn't
> be considered stable.

Look - I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything; x264 is a great
project, and my interactions with you all in the past have been
great.  I think that the work done here is absolutely fabulous.

Perhaps its time to think of either a formal release, or a mechanism
when changing the external APIS, so that the projects that include x264
that do have more formal release schedules don't get broken.  Especially
when the answer to a lot of questions posed is "update to the latest
release".

If you don't want to do a formal release, I would suggest that before
releasing an API change, that an email titled "API CHANGE" be issued
before the commit to highlight such changes.  Then the people that
monitor the list can be more informed, and create patches ahead of
time.

Any decision you make, thanks for the work that you've put in on
x264.  It is really a great project, and something to be very proud of.

Bill May