[x264-devel] Re: encoding with lots of small slices

Mathy Vanvoorden matje at lanzone.be
Thu Jul 20 19:40:45 CEST 2006

Hey,

On Thursday 20 July 2006 14:53, Michael Roitzsch wrote:
> for a research project I am trying to create H.264 files with lots of
> small slices. I realise that the code of x264 limits the amount of
> slices. Maybe you can give me some starters, which assumptions would
> break if this limitation is removed. I already tried to encode videos
> with 128 slices and more, but as soon as slices do not start with the
> first macroblock of a macroblock row, but somewhere in the middle of
> a row, the video looks wrong when decoded with FFmpeg's H.264
> decoder. This could of course be a bug in FFmpeg, but I guess it's
> more likely to be something in x264 that breaks when I remove the
> slice limitations. I would appreciate any ideas on this.

I did something very similar for my thesis. I needed to create smaller
NAL-units to package into IP-packets, and hence I needed to increase the
number of slices. Loren made a patch that should fix the problem of a slice
not starting on the first row, but I thought he already applied that to the
tree. Perhaps you are doing something wrong? If you are interested I can post
the patch that I made (that defines a "maximum slice size in bytes") in a
couple of days (not at the right computer now)

--
Best regards,

Mathy Vanvoorden

Bored? Come play with us!