[x264-devel] x264 improvement

Dmitriy Vatolin dmitriy at graphics.cs.msu.ru
Thu Mar 9 23:42:17 CET 2006

Dear all,

  I'm Dr. Vatolin, Graphics & Media laboratory of Moscow State
  University (MSU G&M Lab VideoGroup). VideoGroup in our laboratory
  working in area of video compression also (see for example
  http://compression.ru/video/ls-codec/index_en.html ). Last autumn we
  have started a small research project "x264 improvement" to analyze
  x264 sources. Now we have first results!

  We make a big amount of measurements to find where codec can be
  improved (first of all RC of codec). Most code is very good, but
  finally we found such place. We replaced "start_qp" predefined
  parameter with function of target bitrate. It allows codec to predict
  first frame size more precisely. The improvement is significant at low
  bitrates with relatively short sequences. In our tests we outperform
  original version of codec (sources 02.12.06) up to 2 Db.

  More detailed information (including modified sources, binaries and examples)
  can be found here:
  http://www.compression.ru/video/x264/x264_improvement_en.html

  Please use as contacts e-mail x264 at graphics.cs.msu.ru !

  Enjoy! :)