[x264-devel] Re: x264 improvement

Dmitriy Vatolin dmitriy at graphics.cs.msu.ru
Fri Mar 10 12:32:31 CET 2006

Dear Champ Yen,

Friday, March 10, 2006, 6:53:00 AM, you wrote:

cy>     I have read the result. It's a amazing and great work!
cy>     I'm glad to see that.

        Not so great, this is initial codec state patch.

        But we think that not so good results of x264 in comparison with
        Ateme on standard sequences like flower, tennis and so on was
        due to this point. So now it's results can be better.

        This result was reached at the end of 2005 (sorry, for delay
        with publication), and our research was continued. In this
        research we collided with problems with accurate codec status
        (state) saving (for future returning to this state). Such
        feature will allows essential increasing of research efficiency.

        I suppose that problem is in speed of current version /
        convenience for research alternative.

        So now we need for cooperation with some other
        researchers/developers to find better compromise ways to solve
        this problem.

        Of course it's possible to make such research on reverence
        version, but sometimes results on JM is good only for papers and
        shows not so good results on practical code so we try to work
        with x264 code to achieve more practical results.

        Ok!

        Any suggestions with solving problem of codec state saving is
        welcome!

        Thank you in advance!

--
 Best regards,
  Dmitriy Vatolin

cy> sorry for my poor English.

    My English is not native also. We can understand each other and this
    is wonderful. :)