[x264-devel] Re: x264 improvement

Benjamin Larsson banan at student.ltu.se
Mon Mar 13 14:03:17 CET 2006

David Wolstencroft wrote:

> Eric,
>
> I might have mentioned before that I have some faster altivec code
> for the G4/G5, yet I'm a bit nervous to incorporate it due to my
> employer. If you would like to add it "silently", that would be great.
>
> - David

Well first if you were coding this under working hours then your
employer owns the code, which means that if this is added silently the
code isn't really free just added without the knowledge of the owner.
But then we have the GPL aspect, if the code is distributed to someone,
they have a right to get the source under the GPL and they can
redistribute it as they see fit.  On the other hand if you did this in
your freetime and just don't want you employer to know that you
contributed some code I guess it is up to the maintainer if your
contribution is accepted. I wouldn't object in such a case.

MvH
Benjamin Larsson

--
"incorrect information" is an oxymoron. Information is, by definition, factual, correct.