[x264-devel] Re: o and g flags

David Wolstencroft lordrpi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 07:49:26 CEST 2006

Guys,

On Mar 27, 2006, at 12:56 PM, Tim Greatrex wrote:

> i'm trying to optimise for the mac a bit, and am having problems
> changing the -o flags to -g to use with my analysis tool (shark). i
> gather this is the right thing to do, but for some reason changing
> all the ones i can find in the makefile does not change all the
> ones at compile, and it returns an error.
>
> any ideas?

Make sure when you ./configure you also --enable-debug. This will
turn debugging symbols on and is all you have to do

On Mar 28, 2006, at 3:35 AM, Tim Greatrex wrote:
> also have been looking into finding an altivec discrete cosine
> transform algorithms, as there seems to be this bit missing in the
> code for altivec. all i can find is suggestions to modify an
> existing fft algorithm. what have you found?
>
> finally, to all; are there any other osx programmers out there
> reading this list?

The IDCT is defined within the H.264/AVC spec (unlike ASP's) which is
slightly modified and this largely results in the ability to do the
transform/quant steps using only adds/subs and shifts... and one
multiply per element (using AltiVec, however you may encounter the
need to use permute operations such as vec_mergeh()  on a matrix
transpose). Looking at modifying an AltiVec FFT won't help much -
though you may be able to learn more about coding in AltiVec. The DCT
is defined in H.264/AVC for a reason - I'd highly suggest not to try
and modify it.

Just for giggles, the fastest compile flags you'll find for OS X
is.... -fast :) (it's Apple specific, last I checked)

- David