[x264-devel] Re: MPEG4 question

Mathieu Monnier manao at melix.net
Mon May 8 14:18:22 CEST 2006

> Hi All

Hi,

> this is not a x264 related question , but I thought the vast video
> knowledge here will have the answer.

Indeed, it's not. Xvid, ffmpeg, mplayer, mencoder ML would really have
been better suited. It's imho as bad a habit as using an already
existing thread to ask a completely unrelated question.

Anyway,

> Does old MPEG4 (not part 10) support changing the qscale in MB level
> (i.e.-changing it inside the frame).

Yes, but in a (very) restrictive way : the quantizer scale can only vary
from [-2:+2] of the quantizer scale of the last encoded macroblock. AVC
is quite less constrained in that regard ( [-26:+26] iirc ), so is mpeg2
( whatever quantizer scale you want ).

Regards,

Mathieu