[x264-devel] Explanation request for ME

Teemu Tuominen teemu.tuominen at imap.tut.fi
Fri May 12 12:38:01 CEST 2006

Hi,

I just quikly looked at the ME implementation in x264. It's quite
understandable code, i would say. However, it would be very nice if
someone could explain if there is some tricks beneath or above the
search pattern code. If we leave subpel search out of the question, can
fullsearch be comparable with other implementations. I am considering to
use x264 in small ME testing environment and i would be pleased for any
support.

Here are some questions that i firstly wondered...
SAD-functions seemed not to use early break feature. Does x264 use some
pixel desimation method for SAD.  In which phase is the interpolation
done for subpel search. Is there any upper-level predictors for motion
field that leaves BMA entirely out for certain blocks. In other words,
how precisely can x264 cover the error surface if FS comparison is
implemented. Is the implemented ESA comparable with fullsearch at
fulpel-level ? And so on..

-TT-