[x264-devel] Interlaced support developpement

Loïc Le Loarer lll+vlc at m4x.org
Tue May 16 13:06:21 CEST 2006

Hi,

Because H.264 usage is starting to grow in TV field mainly, interlaced
support is essential for an encoder (TV camera often produce interlaced
content and TV display are interlaced often).

So I'd like to start working during my spare time to add interlaced
support to x264 and I'd like to know if anyone is already working on
this and if such a contribution would be welcomed and have a chance to
be intergrated.

I plan to add MBAFF support first because it seems the most efficient
feature of H.264 to encode interlaced content (I see PAFF mode as a
compatibility mode for MPEG2 encoder). I'll submit my patches often, so
that my code can be reviewed and corrected early and can reach consensus
of all other developpers involed in x264.

If I have the time, I'll also try to add support in FFmpeg to decode the
interlaced content produced by x264 with my patches.

Any comments ?

Best regards.

--
Loïc