[x264-devel] Motion Estimation in X264

Guy Bonneau gbonneau at matrox.com
Mon Nov 13 16:04:02 CET 2006

Hi,

I was wondering about the reference buffers used in the motion estimation
algorithm for the Test Model of h264 as well as X264. Does X264 and the Test
Model JM10.1 used the reconstructed reference Y buffer or the original
reference Y buffer to search for Motion Estimation. I know H263 uses the
reconstructed reference Y buffer but I think Mpeg2 used the original
reference Y buffer. I know all specifications don't provide guidelines
regarding this matter. So I was wondering what was decided when implementing
the JM10.1 and X264.

Thanks

GB