[x264-devel] Re: Motion Estimation in X264

Mathieu Monnier manao at melix.net
Mon Nov 13 21:34:06 CET 2006

> Weird, I thought you'd always need to use the reconstructed frame, as that's
> what the decoder will base it's prediction on. I thought errors would accumulate
> otherwise.

Indeed, but there's a difference between motion estimation, and actual
encoding. You can very well search the motion between two non-encoded
frames, then encode the frame with the found motion vectors and the
actual reconstructed references. It may even be worthwhile at low
bitrates when the frames get really distorted by the encoding process.
I'm especially thinking of the mpeg2/4 blocking at high quantizer, which
tends to bork motion estimation. AVC, in that regards, suffer much less
thanks to the inloop deblocking.

> If you are encoding with high quality and frequent I-frames, I guess
> you could get away with using the original picture for reference.  It
> would save a few cycles in the encoder avoiding the reconstruction
> step.

I hope nobody is that desperate for speed. If so, then let him use ASP,
instead of crippling a codec :)

Regards,

Mathieu