[x264-devel] Deblocking filter between frame and field MBs

Bastien allibert.bastien at wanadoo.fr
Thu Nov 16 16:17:14 CET 2006

Hi,
I'm currently working on the deblocking filter of H264 and MBAFF mode is a problem for me. Using MB PAIRs (because MBAFF is set), if my current MB PAIR is a frame MB and my upper MB PAIR is a field MB, what will be the pixels used in filtering of the top MB edge?... if we keep MB field structure in state, then I will use the bottom field of the upper MB pair to filter my current MB top edge. It is troubling. I guess I have maybe missed something in the deblocking filter process. From my point of view, the most probable way to do this filtering is to deinterlace the MB Field pair. Is it the case ? Is it specified in the H264 standard or is it something that developers, in x264 for example, do from their own decision?
So, in other words, is it specified that, after inverse transform, MB fields are deinterlaced when we are in MBAFF mode ? (and maybe also in pure interlaced mode, please precise it if it's the case).
Thanks a lot for your help,
Bastien