[x264-devel] Re: x264 decoder

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Sun Oct 1 13:48:21 CEST 2006

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006, Johannes Ballé wrote:

> Am Samstag, 30. September 2006 20:52 schrieb Loren Merritt:
>> features which libavcodec supports but x264 decoder doesn't:
>> motion compensation, cabac, B-frames, interlace, reference reordering,
>> weighted prediction, ...
>
> Sorry, I meant the other way... things that could be implemented in the x264
> src that'd require a lot of restructuring in lavc, for instance.

There's nothing in x264's structure that would make it a better decoder
than lavc. And there are features that would make it inherently slower,
like motion compensation (for details, see
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=767843#post767843 ).
Of course, you could just implement both motion compensation strategies in
x264. But if that's the answer to all such issues then you won't be
sharing much code between encoder and decoder, so there's no reason to
keep them in the same project.

--Loren Merritt