[x264-devel] Re: Deblocking Filter in X.264

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Tue Oct 3 08:50:39 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, Faisal Abdullah wrote:

> I have to inquire that if the Deblock filter in X.264
> is exact implementation of standard. Does this filter
> shows conformance for ITU Test Streams for decoder.

x264 isn't a decoder, so it is meaningless to ask whether it decodes
compliantly.
But x264 does encode compliantly. i.e. if you dump x264's internal buffers
for the content of encoded frames, you get results identical to what the
reference codec outputs upon decoding the bitstream.

> As I have seen in the code for strength calculation of
> the filter that motion vector comparison is somewhat
> approximate.

x264 does not implement every piece of the standard, but it is compliant
in its implementation of the pieces that it does use. For example, the
computation of deblocking strength omits several conditions that are
listed in the standard, but the situations that those conditions apply to
can never occur in x264, since x264 chooses not to generate such streams.

--Loren Merritt