[x264-devel] Re: [BUG] bus error on Solaris

Fri Oct 6 20:47:34 CEST 2006

Hi,

despite all my efforts, I haven't been able to find the bug so far. :-(
But it might be that gcc is generating incorrect Sparc code. Here's what
I've tried:

- Blastwave's gcc4: bug always shows up.
- Sun's preinstalled gcc3: bug only shows up if the optimizer is
enabled. x264 works fine if compiled with -O0.
- CoolTools gcc (gcc4 frontend + Sun's cc backend): x264 works fine (!)

Depending on the optimization level (x264 uses -O1 as debug default, I
also tried -O0), the segfault occurs at different places in the code,
but always somewhere in assembly code for which the compiler cannot show
any C code (such as the PLT case I described in my earlier email).

I suspect that the gcc Sparc backend generates incorrect code. In any
case, only p8x8 partitions seem to be affected, and x264 runs without
problems if they're deactivated.

What do you guys think about that?

- Chris