[x264-devel] Re: Suspected GPL violation by Erightsoft "super"

chl at iupr.net chl at iupr.net
Mon Oct 23 23:04:10 CEST 2006

Hi Tobias,

no, I'm pretty sure GPL doesn't allow this.

There's a single EXE file to download, already
that is not just "mere aggregation" anymore. For
"derivative works" it doesn't matter if you include
source code from GPLed project into your proprietary
software or bundle unmodified binaries.
I didn't look into the archive itself, because the
EULA is unacceptable. Same with the legal stuff on
the website: it states everything that you can
download is their copyright, you are not allowd to
reverse engineer or redistribute. All clearly oppsite to
GPL. There are no copies of the GPL/LGPL text, and no
source, not even for the GPLed stuff. Etc. etc.

Of course, if you're okay with that they do, that's fine.
I just wanted to let you know.

Christoph