[x264-devel] Re: x264: svn commit r562 (pengvado)

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed Sep 13 19:59:50 CEST 2006

Guillaume Poirier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Christophe Mutricy wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 13, 06 at 13:06 +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:
>
> [..]
>
>>> Even more useful would be to have the diff directly in the mail.
>>
>> I disagree. i find it bloated if there is more then 20 lines of changes.
>
> I understand it's all a matter of preferences, but I also like to have
> the diff in the mail as I don't have internet at home, but have an
> offline archive of my mails on a laptop.
> Being able to have a look at these diffs while offline would be quite
> handy to me...
> ... just my 2c...

I mostly just lurk here, but I prefer seeing diffs in commit messages as
well. Watching the diffs on the mplayer and ffmpeg lists was enough to
get me past the initial hurdle of knowing nothing about the source code
of either project. Admittedly, I still don't know much now, but if I
hadn't had a nice daily dose of diffs it probably would have taken much
longer before I was able to make a few meaningful contributions.

I know I could just use svn directly (and sometimes I do), but having
diffs mailed to me is much more convenient.

-Corey