[x264-devel] Re: x264: svn commit r562 (pengvado)

Panagiotis Issaris takis.issaris at uhasselt.be
Thu Sep 14 00:20:10 CEST 2006

Hi,

On wo, 2006-09-13 at 22:29 +0200, Panagiotis Issaris wrote:
> On wo, 2006-09-13 at 16:34 +0200, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
> > [...]
> > I understand it's all a matter of preferences, but I also like to have
> > the diff in the mail as I don't have internet at home, but have an
> > offline archive of my mails on a laptop.
> > Being able to have a look at these diffs while offline would be quite
> > handy to me...
> Which is exactly why I use GIT for FFmpeg. It includes a utility to pull
> in the changes from SVN and store them in GIT format. Which is very
> convenient as it stores the entire repository _locally_. The entire
> repository archives only takes 15MB. With that you can view every commit
> message and diffs from the first revision in SVN without being online.
> And as all data is available locally, it is _fast_ :-)

For those interested, here's a link to a GIT FFmpeg repository tarball
(13MB).
http://issaris.be/ffmpeg-git.tar.bz2

If you want to use it to browse the history locally, install GIT,
download the tarball, extract it in your FFmpeg sourcetree, and
use f.e. "git log -p" to view all commits (from revision 1 to current
being 6244) accompanied with the actual patch.

Just for fun, I've also put up the tool similar to ViewCVS, namely
gitweb:
http://issaris.org/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=ffmpeg.git;a=summary

Be gentle as this is a _very_ weak server :)

In fact, the gitweb site doesn't really show the things you will find
useful, as the webbased design implies that you do not have the data
locally available.

I just noticed that I am posting this on the _X264_ mailinglist, while I
thought it was the FFmpeg mailinglist. I'll put up a X264 git tarball
tomorrow, together with an entry on the gitweb page to make this post
somewhat relevant here... :)

With friendly regards,
Takis