[x264-devel] x264 decoder

Johannes Ballé os at xn--ball-epa.net
Thu Sep 28 13:55:29 CEST 2006

Hello.

I'm currently working on a project about improved intra prediction for AVC.
I've based the implementation on the x264 code base, and the first results
are not bad. Thanks to everyone who made this possible! (I will gladly
contribute any improvements back to the project.)

To prove that the measurements are correct, I'm still in need for a standalone
decoder that I can modify along with the coder.

I don't really need the best CPU performance (yet) as I'm optimizing for RD
performance. I would need a certain amount of flexibility because a lot of
things in the code, if not all, are not final yet. Also it would be very
convenient if the encoder/decoder could share some of the code. I guess the
best choice would be the decoder in the x264 code base. However, it seems a
standalone version would still have to be written (maybe by just implementing
a main program). Is there anything the coder implements that the decoder
doesn't?

It seems the ffmpeg code base poses an alternative. Which software would you
recommend looking into?

Thanks.

--
Johannes Ballé