[x264-devel] NAL units - chunk offset retrieval

FREYCON Stephane DGPN-DCPJ-PTS stephane.freycon at interieur.gouv.fr
Thu Apr 26 10:43:31 CEST 2007

Hi,
I'm a trying since a while now to reconstruct lost metadata (i.e. ISO 14496
headers) from an X264 encoded mp4 file.
Although retrieving the NAL units in the data is a quite easy task, I'm
encountering problems in selecting the NAL units offsets that must be
referenced as chunk offsets in the stco table of a ISO format-like file. I
was presuming, having checked the source of x264 project and GPAC that these
chunks where supposed to be IDR frames, but the files I am working on don't
seem to fullfill these conditions. I have made a lot of other hypothesis
that have all been unsuccessfull.
I am aware of the H.264 specifications, but I haven't found the answer to my
questions in this document.
Is there a way to detect such specific NAL units ?

Thanks in advance
Stephane