[x264-devel] out-of-range motion vectors

List, Peter Peter.List at t-systems.com
Wed Aug 1 11:22:02 CEST 2007

Dear all,

Ok, it now is clarified that motion-vectors of sizes like 500 are legal and it was shown how it can happen that these sizes are generated. I think there is more to it though:

Do these vectors represent a true motion of 125 full pels, or has the estimation algorithm gone into some local minima far away from the "real" motion?

I believe, most of the time these very large vectors produce largely suboptimal results.

To avoid the drift to larger and larger values one could first do a  RD-weighted check whether  motion compensation with the predictor (you called it candidate position!?) generates a better result than motion compensation with (0,0).

If (0,0) wins, we would do our search from there.

Maybe there are better methods to avoid this drift, but what ever method, it could be a simple way to further improve coding efficiency.

Regards

                          Peter

Dr. Peter List

Senior Engineer

T-Systems Enterprise Services GmbH

Deutsche-Telekom-Allee 7, 64295 Darmstadt, Germany

Phone:   +49 6151 937 3878

Fax:       +49 6151 937 7748

E-Mail:    mailto:Peter.List at t-systems.com <mailto:Peter.List at t-systems.com>

Internet: http://www.t-systems.com <http://www.t-systems.com/>

_____________________________________

T-Systems Enterprise Services GmbH

Supervisory Board: René Obermann (Chairman)

Executive Committee: Helmut Binder, Albert Henn, Olaf Heyden*, Katrin Horstmann,

Ulrich Kemp, Axel Knobe*, Wilfried Peters*, Dr. Herbert Schaaff*, Zvezdana Seeger*

Commercial register: Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main HRB 55933

Registered office: Frankfurt am Main

WEEE -Reg.-No. DE87523644

*Member of the Board of Directors as defined under section 35 GmbHG

Notice: This transmittal and/or attachments may be privileged or confidential. If you are

not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this transmittal

in error; any review, dissemination, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you received this

transmittal in error, please notify us immediately by reply and immediately delete this

message and all its attachments. Thank you.