[x264-devel] trying to access a MB during the mode availibility detection

Dalton Joe karmaleno at yahoo.fr
Mon Dec 31 13:53:38 CET 2007

Hi everyone

I am currently working on a research project trying to modify the x264 encoding part to improve the encoding-time.

One of the means we try to implement uses a direction detection of textures, and for that I would like to access to the data of the proccessed Macro Bloc during the mode prediction phase.

I modified

static void predict_16x16_mode_available( unsigned int i_neighbour, int *mode, int *pi_count )

into

static void predict_16x16_mode_available( unsigned int i_neighbour, int *mode, int *pi_count, uint8_t macrobloc )

in order to be able to access to the p_fenc[0] data, and process this information to detect the texture direction.

My problem is that I don't know how to handle this data structure. p_fenc is described in the common.h file, in the "pic" structure, as:
            /* pointer over mb of the frame to be compressed */
            uint8_t *p_fenc[3];
and I guess that p_fenc[0] is the luma part, and p_fenc[1] & p_fenc[2] are the chroma parts, but once I get the p_fenc[0], I don't know how to access to the different pixels of the MB.

I tryed to crowl in the code, thinking that this should have already been done somewhere else in the coder, but I always find some un-understandable code, relying on assembler code I guess...

As you probably noticed, I am not too familiar with the x264 code, neither with the C language actually, but I really need to perform this (school project).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. THanx in advance, and happy new year :)

Sam