[x264-devel] Re: Scalability

Mathieu Monnier manao at melix.net
Tue Feb 27 20:31:06 CET 2007

>  There is
> a certain minimal offset between the rows or macroblocks the threads for
> dependent frames are working on, yes - it is set I believe by the
> mvrange-thread option

It can go under 22 pixels ( a macroblock + 3 pixels + 3 pixels for the
interpolation, I guess ), from what i see in the source code

> Update: I ran some tests with short keyint and large numbers of threads,
> the results appear to indicate that threading independent frames across
> keyframes does not work as suggested above.  I'm not entirely sure if it
> is supposed to work in the current implementation.

Do not forget that bframes & iframes do not take the same time to encode
as pframes.

With only intra frames, what I said was incorrect. Bframes may indeed be
  encoded independantly, but not all ( bref ), and they don't represent
more than half the frames anyway, so it may only double the figure I gave.

Since we still don't know what resolution he encoded, we can't conclude
anything.