[x264-devel] Re: Patch for Scenarist HD compatibility

Ian Caulfield ian.caulfield at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 21:08:53 CET 2007

On 1/13/07, Loren Merritt <lorenm at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> Yes, 2 calls of <=32 bits is better. What's the largest number you need
> to encode with bs_write_ue?

Either the bit rate (in bps) divided by 64, or the vbv buffer size (in bits)
divided by 16. Given that both these values are given in units of 1000 to
x264, I was considering rounding them both up to the next multiple of 1024,
which would reduce the size they'd be encoded in.

> >> Bugs should be fixed where the bug is. This is a bug in Scenarist, so
> out
> >> of principle I won't work around it in x264.
> >
> > Could it be a requirement of the HD DVD spec that H264 streams start
> with
> > AUD, SPS, PPS? I don't have access to that spec...
>
> Conceivably, but I won't believe it until someone has a copy of the spec.

Well, no chance of me getting it... I'll take out that part of the patch.

Ian