[x264-devel] Re: Slices in x264

Guillaume Poirier gpoirier at mplayerhq.hu
Tue Jan 16 16:33:50 CET 2007

Hi,

List, Peter wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>

> I am new to this group although experienced with H.264. I tried to use
> the x264 encoder to prepare sequences for an error-resilience test.
>
> I was very surprised, when I discovered, that x264 CAN NOT produce
> slices! Slices are the basic tool to cope with packet-losses over
> IP-based networks (without retransmission), and in fact can make a huge
> difference for subjective quality, in particular at high loss-rates.

Very basic indeed. _I_ think it's better to add more advanced parity
(which allow the errors to be recovered) infos somewhere in the
transport layer stream than using slices.

> Did I miss something here, or is it true that x264 can only produce 1
> slice per frame???

It used until r609 to but it was replaced by a much better and faster
multi-threaded encoding mode.

You can just svn up -r609 and enjoy multi-sliced encoding if you want.

Guillaume