[x264-devel] Re: Slices in x264

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Wed Jan 17 10:55:57 CET 2007

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
> Måns Rullgård wrote:
>> Multithreaded encoding and slices are really distinct features.
>> Slices may be desired, as the OP says, with or without multithreading.
>
> Loren, Out of curiosity, did you remove sliced encoding support
> because it was too deeply "interleaved" with multi-threaded support,
> so your new multi-threaded encoding mode had to make sliced encoding
> go away? Or are there other reasons?

The implementation of slices that I removed was deeply tied into
threading. There's no reason one can't add slices back now, but they would
have to be re-implemented almost from scratch anyway. It won't be hard,
but I don't personally value slices, so I didn't want to delay the new
threading until I eventually get around to implementing them.

--Loren Merritt