[x264-devel] Re: Problems compiling xubuntu ppc

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 13:43:10 CET 2007

Hi,

(replies re-ordered to interleaved quoting)

On 1/16/07, Griffith Rees <griff.rees at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/16/07, Guillaume POIRIER < poirierg at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 1/16/07, Griffith Rees < griff.rees at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hello. I'm having trouble building x264 svn.
> > >
> > > gcc -O4 -ffast-math  -Wall -I. -D__X264__ -DHAVE_MALLOC_H -maltivec
> > > -mabi=altivec -DARCH_PPC -DSYS_LINUX -DHAVE_PTHREAD -s
> -fomit-frame-pointer
> > >  -c -o common/quant.o common/quant.c
> > > In file included from common/quant.c:29:
> > > common/ppc/quant.h:26: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before
> > > 'vector'
> > > common/ppc/quant.h:31: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before
> > > 'vector'
> > > make: *** [common/quant.o] Error 1
> >
> > Mmmm.... I just cleanned my glasses, and saw the obvious problem.
> >
> > Your compiler flags do no seem right.
> > They should look like that:
> >
> > gcc -arch ppc -O4 -ffast-math -Wall -I. -D__X264__ -falign-loops=16
> > -faltivec -fastf -mcpu=G4 -DARCH_PPC -DSYS_MACOSX -DHAVE_PTHREAD -s
> > -fomit-frame-pointer -arch ppc    -c -o common/ppc/quant.o
> > common/ppc/quant.c
> >
> > Did you mess around with CFLAGS by any chance? Looks like a pibkac. ;-)
> >
> > Guillaume

> Ah. ok. yeah, I might have added maltivec rather than faltivec. What's the
> difference (besides one clearly not working)? I think I just remember
> maltivec from my global clfags on a gentoo install I used to have, but I
> (foolishly) never quite understood all that. What's the difference (if you
> care to enlighten me)? I think I remember faltivec being an older G3
> extension that didn't apply, but that's pretty hazy.

After having a closer look at the configure script, it looks like the
compiler options you're using are the vanilla options obtained by a
simple ./configure.

Now, maybe you could add "-mpim-altivec" to your config.mak, that may
do the trick.

If it doesn't do the trick, please run "make clean ; ./configure ; make"

and post the content of your console

> Thanks very much for your help. Attentive devs are a wonderful thing :).

:-))

Guillaume