[x264-devel] AW: Re: Slices in x264

List, Peter Peter.List at t-systems.com
Wed Jan 17 15:46:15 CET 2007

> By the way, in case Peter or the rest of the list have labelled me as

> an "anti-slice" zealot... :) I do think slices are good for all the

> reasons

> that well described above. Unfortunately, in H.264 there is a serious

> problem with slices in the decoder: namely "arbitrary slice order".

> Cheers,

> -Ryan

Ryan,

I have to admit, I can not think of any advantage of ASO although I
think there must be some...

On the other hand ASO is only part of the "Extended-Profile"

And I don't believe ANYBODY has ever used it. For the common use of
H.264 as Baseline-, Main- or High-Profile ASO is FORBIDDEN!

Regards

                 Peter