[x264-devel] out-of-range motion vectors

CAdevel cadevel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 15:38:46 CEST 2007

Thanx for your response,

The standard allows large motion vectors indeed (I recall a quarter window
as max). However, motion estimation techniques generally limit their search
range to 16 (or something close to that). Anyway, I encoded the movies with
x264 using the option "--hex --merange 24" and "--esa --merange 16", where
'merange' sets the motion estimation search range. Thus, in principle I
should not find any motion vector larger than 24 and 16 respectively. But I
think I did, and that worries me.

with kind regards,
Cor