[x264-devel] Multithread in x264

Son Minh Tran son-minh.tran at int-evry.fr
Fri Jul 6 10:57:16 CEST 2007

Dear all
I would like to understand more the implementation of multithreading
coding in x264. I already check some related discussing threads.  But I
still have some problems to fingure out  your technique as followings:
1.Before revision 607,  each thread  encodes  one slice , whose size (in
MB) is equal to the frame size  divided by No. of thread . You said
this method  has penalty on bitrate. Is it due to the independent
treatment of  slices in the same frame (therefore no spatial corellation
can be exploited at the boundary of slices)?. There is no synchron at
all between threads, isn,t it ?
2. From revision 607, you deployed multithread based on frame. It means
that frame can no longer be devided into more slices (I cannot find any
parameters for setting the size of slice)? With this method, you have to
introduce the function x264_frame_cond_wait to ensure the fact that in
the current Frame B/P encoded by thread X, before encoding a MB, all of
its probable reference MBs in other frames (therefore encoded by other
threads)  must be  encoded  and reconstructed (then they can be used as
references). I  still don't  understand the reason you set 24 to
X264_THREAD_HEIGHT.
Thank you for your clarification
Son