[x264-devel] analyzing H264 packets

aviad rozenhek aviadr1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 16:39:55 CEST 2007

Hi,

I am receiving H264 packets over RTP. I would like to use x264 to

1) analyze the packets, to know what kind of NAL units it contains
(for instance, discovering if the NAL is an IDR frame).
2)  repeat the H264 headers before each IDR frame. (note that data is
already encoded, so I can't use x264_encoder_encode)

the headers (SPS + PPS + whatever) are available to me as an
"sprop-parameter-sets"  ( from SDP ) encoded in Base64. I can convert
it to binary, and then I want to use x264 to parse it into x264
internal representation of parameters.

then I could use code from x264_encoder_encode to create the
additional NAL units.

so what I am asking is:
how to I use x264 to analyze NALs?
Is there a better way to achieve what I need?

thanks
Aviad Rozenhek