[x264-devel] Re: x264 and 8 cores

Alexander Izvorski aizvorski at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 11:03:51 CEST 2007

On 6/12/07, Emanuele Fumagalli <emanuele.fumagalli at babelgum.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm using x264 for encoding large input files (read through an avs file).
> I noticed that I don't have good performance on a Xeon 8 core even using
> -threads 12, is there something else I can do to boost performance and have
> a lower encoding time?
>
> thanks for any help
>
> bye

Hi, could you define "not good performance"?  What resolution is your
video and what encoding fps are you getting?  What % overall cpu
utilization?  What exact x264 options are you using?  Have you checked
that the bottleneck is not avs?

If you care about speed over quality, try --me=dia --subme=2
--no-cabac --partitions=none --scenecut=-1 --bframes=1 --no-b-adapt or
similar options.  Some of these may also help make threading more
efficient.

--Alex