[x264-devel] Re: Grey "fogged" frames in h264 encoded videos. Is this a bug?

gregor koseleck g.koseleck at areamobile.de
Fri Jun 22 11:03:28 CEST 2007

Am Donnerstag, den 21.06.2007, 16:37 -0600 schrieb Loren Merritt:

> (pick any one of the following)
> What you can do about it without modifying any source code:
> Enable CABAC.
> Set min QP to something reasonable (like x264's default 10).

Hello,

many thanks for your reply.
Unfortunatel I am not firm enough with coding - not to mention encoder
algorithm - to do the changes in the code. I am afraid that it would
take ages for me to find the mentioned changes in the code.

What I could imagine to do is some experimenting with ffmpeg's
commandline settings. Though I can not figure out what is mentioned by
CAVLC and CABAC. I found settings in the ffmpeg documentation to define
QP factors and offset (thouhg no minimum-setting) but nothing about
CABAC.
So my question is; What is CABAC and how can I enable that?
Which option would let me set a minimum limit for the QP?

If that's a problem of ffmpeg, I maybe should shot this problem also to
the ffmpeg mailinglist. Maybe they could take care for reasonable
default settings if possible.

Many thanks again for your effort
Greegings
Gregor Koseleck