[x264-devel] Re: Speed-up method

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 10:30:58 CET 2007

Hi,

On 3/3/07, Alex Izvorski <aizvorski at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am noticing a certain trend here: every time it seems like something
> could be done more efficiently on specialized hardware, general-purpose
> hardware catches up.  The last one was the Cell processor, not so
> attractive now that one can put two X5355's in one box ;)  Yes, the Cell
> is still faster in theory than two X5355's.  In practice though...

Except that Cell is said to cost 89$ according to this site
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/ps3-a-bargain-worth-840-powerful-as-a-supercomputer-215203.php
while X5355 has a retail price of $1,215 on newegg.

To my eyes, that doesn't make Cell any more interesting anyhow as I
don't think that alien was designed with programmability in mind ;-)

Guillaume