[x264-devel] [Patch] x264 on ppc without altivec

Alexis Ballier aballier at gentoo.org
Sun Mar 4 20:39:32 CET 2007

Hi,

while playing with a friend's efika I noticed that x264 assumed that a
ppc has altivec. This results in nices "Illegal instructions" when you
try to do anything.

In fact, it could be autodetected (there is a nice "Fixme" in the
autodetection routine for ppc ;) ), but the only detection methods I've
found are from libmpeg2 (used in mplayer, ffmpeg), those try to execute
altivec code while catching SIGILL. This method fails in x264, the
signal is cought but SIGILL still kills x264, most likely because of
threads.

Please find enclosed a patch that allows to disable altivec at build
time, defaulting to yes, in order to allow non altivec ppc users to use
x264.

Regards,

Alexis.