[x264-devel] Re: [Patch] x264 on ppc without altivec

Alexis Ballier aballier at gentoo.org
Mon Mar 5 20:46:26 CET 2007

> > So, to me, that means that the signal is caught by the thread, but
> > also sent to the whole process which dies.
> > I dont know if there is a way to play nicely with threads and signals
> > and found it simpler to disable altivec at compile time, thus the patch
> > I proposed.
>
> How can it be related to threads? x264 doesn't use threads unless you
> tell it to. And if merely linking in a threading library were sufficient
> to break it, then libmpeg2 in mencoder would also break.

True, you're right there. I had concluded too quickly, based on this :
http://trac.videolan.org/pkg-multimedia/changeset/150
I've found more info at :
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2004/01/msg00023.html
but this is from 2004, perhaps that's the gcc 3.3 bug that caused some
mails about this on mplayer & ffmpeg devel lists.

$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.1.1 (Gentoo 4.1.1-r3)
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE.

But then, I don't understand why the code works in a simple program and
not in x264.

by the way :
$gcc -maltivec -mabi=altivec toto.c
$./a.out