[x264-devel] Rate-Distortion Optimization in H.264

Mohsen Shaaban mmm5554 at louisiana.edu
Wed Mar 28 00:33:28 CEST 2007

Hello,

I have a question in Rate Distortion Optimization (RDO) in H.264;

Is always choosing a prediction mode with a finer partitions gives less
distortion than a coarser mode? Like will Inter_8x8 always gives less
distortion than Inter_16x16?

Now for RDO, I need to minimize (D + lambda*R)

and I know that large QP results in a large lambda thus low bit-rate and
large distortion and small QP results in small lambda thus high bit-rate and
small distortion

Does this mean that I’ll always need to choose the prediction mode with
finer partitions to guarantee a lower distortion and what’s the rule of the
Quantization parameter (QP) based on that???

I’m confused between the prediction mode decision and the changing of the QP
to minimize the RDO equation.

Any feedback is really appreciated.

Thanks,

Mohsen Shaaban