[x264-devel] Re: [FFmpeg-devel] Optimizations for Cell Broadband Engine

Griffith Rees griff.rees at gmail.com
Mon May 7 16:27:57 CEST 2007

On 5/7/07, Robert Swain <robert.swain at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 May 2007, at 14:20, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> > On 5/7/07, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> >> if yes to both, then i would suggest that these be done and everyone
> >> who is interrested from ffmpeg/x264/xine/mplayer/xvid/vlc/...
> >> could get an account to port, test and benchmark their code on it
> >>
> >> that of course doesnt awnser who would physically get the ps3 or
> >> admin
> >> it
> >
> > Yep, that's a thought. BTW, the PPC machine that has been offered by
> > IBM is also accessible to these devs too. However, the machine isn't
> > on all the time since it draws 1kW of power, but it can easily be put
> > online per request.
>
> PS3s draw 1kW of power?! Oh dear.
>
> Rob

I think the PPC machine IBM is providing is not ps3, but some custom
hardware that has the CELL processor. I can't really imagine consumer
grade hardware being sold that draws that kind of power.

But let me add my vote to giving it to Guillaume (even though I'm not
actually a dev and I'm only still on this list because I had a problem
a couple months ago, which Guillaume solved for me :)).