[x264-devel] Re: CABAC performance

Son Minh Tran son-minh.tran at int-evry.fr
Tue May 29 11:11:36 CEST 2007

Guillaume Poirier a écrit :
> Son Minh Tran wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>> Have you ever tested the performance of CABAC in x264. It is strange
>> that  with  toggling between using / not using CABAC (without / with
>> --no-cabac option) I didn't see the improvement about 16% of bitrate at
>> the cost of encoder speed fps (complexity) about 25-30%. In fact I had
>> about 4-11% improvement in bitrate for only max 6% increase in the fps
>> speed of encoder. You have a optimized CABAC encoder or I miss some
>> things while turning off the CABAC
>>

> What command line did you use to test this?
>
> Guillaume

I used the following syntax to test the compression with CABAC
x264 -b 4 -r 7 --mixed-refs -A all -8 -o <Output 264> <Input cif YUV>
352x288 2><LogFile>
In the case without CABAC, I added nocabac option as following:
x264 --no-cabac -b 4 -r 7 --mixed-refs -A all -8 -o <Output 264> <Input
cif YUV> 352x288 2><LogFile>
I checked out x264 recently on April 3rd 2007. The test videos  are  the
common test sequences
(http://www.tkn.tu-berlin.de/research/evalvid/cif.html)
Son