[x264-devel] Re: CABAC performance

Sergey A. Sablin sergey.sablin at elecard.com
Thu May 31 22:33:47 CEST 2007

Hi Peter,

I just run quick test with well-known CIF sequences: akiyo, coastguard,
foreman, mobile and tempete and made two pass encoding with:
CAVLC 500 kbps
CABAC 440 kbps

Quick PSNR results - highest differences are:
+0.21 dB (CABAC winner, akiyo)
-0.15 dB (CABAC loss, tempete)
Speed difference is less than 5%. (high quality encoding with rdo
enabled for both cavlc and cabac, but settings aren't insane)

So with all respect I wouldn't say +16% is a PR. And I think anyone
could make a bunch of such tests with x264 (without RDO and trellis of
course)

Regards,
Sergey.