[x264-devel] [vlc] Add scripts/text/marks to MPEG-TS video flow

Jindrich Makovicka makovick at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 19:12:39 CET 2007

On Nov 4, 2007 7:39 PM, Jean-Paul Saman <jean-paul.saman at planet.nl> wrote:

> Javier Gálvez Guerrero wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I would like to know if there is any option or app to synchronize data
> > (scripts or text) and video (bundled in MPEG-TS if possible) flows with VLC
> > streaming feature.
> >
> > Specifically, what I need to do is, for example, log in an IPTV application,
> > then ask the server for receiving an on-demand content. With the video flow
> > the receiver device should receive some kind of synchronized marks (like
> > Windows Media File Editor can do, for example). I don't know if exists any
> > application or VLC feature to synchronize this mark flow or if VLC provides
> > any sort of video-marking, but I've looked for it and I've found nothing.
> > This marks should also be parsed by the reciving application which would
> > process the corresponding petitions.
> >
> > An example would be that if you are watching a film and in the screen
> > appears someone with a watch, the player application should have any way to
> > allow to display advertisements just in the moment, that is why I need to
> > synchronize it. Another application would be that, while watching a video
> > and logging off and then logging in again (disconnecting and connecting from
> > the server), I could continue the streaming from the moment when I stopped
> > it, managing some kind of instant marking and submitting in the user profile
> > in the server.
> >

> > Thanks in advance to everyone,
>
> The MPEG2-TS specification has 'splice points' especially for inserting
> advertisements.

I think Javier meant just additional text information, for which the
Event Information Table is more appropriate.
VLC is able to parse them and display their content in the video
information dialog, so it probably can be hacked
to perform an action when some special event is encountered.

PS: this discussion is rather off-topic.
--
Jindrich Makovicka