[x264-devel] [about gop paralellism]

RG Nurrahmat rgnurrahmat at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 16 07:55:04 CEST 2007

Hi Loren,

I have been reading your paper titled as follows,
X264: A High Performance H.264/AVC Encoder

And from my understanding, these are the  parameters that I need for a video conference application,
1. Rate Control : VBV-compliant constant bitrate (CBR), as it is the most suitable for real-time streaming.
2. Motion Estimation : Hexagon since it is the fastest although there is a good speed and yet better quality, the UMH.
3. Mode Decision : based on SATD0 and rate-distortion optimization, i.e. Inter and afterwards Intra.
4. Quantization : Trellis-1 (medium-complexity and bit-rate), Trellis-2 is just 0.7% better in terms of bit-rate, however, it is 27% longer in encoding time.
5. Frame Type Decision : it is automatically heuristically used.

Please advice if these are correct set.

Thank you.

RG Nurrahmat <rgnurrahmat at yahoo.com> wrote: Dear Loren,

I am newbie in x264, and have been spending my days surfing the net to look for ways to pass my raw video data to x264 in stream ( no need to open a file). Can you show me how to do that? including the parameters needed.

Is it correct that FFMPEG can only decode? but not encode as well? Since I have built my FFMPEG to include x264 library.

Thank you.

Loren Merritt <lorenm at u.washington.edu> wrote: On Sat, 13 Oct 2007, ½¯Ð˲ý wrote:

>      I'm a newbie of x264 and tried to encode yuv sequences on multi-core
> platforms.

And x264's builtin threading doesn't suffice?

>      first I pinned some GOP task on each logical CPUs, and then read a gop
> for every gop task, when the encoding process is done, the main thread
> re-order the out-of-order data encoded by  the GOP tasks.
>      the result is fine, but when I playback the bitstream, there will be
> some error information displayed on the information window of videolan
> client:
>
> ffmpeg warning: error while decoding MB 14 13, bytestream (-7)
> (h264 at 00CEB3C0)
> ffmpeg debug: concealing 145 DC, 145 AC, 145 MV errors
> (h264 at 00CEB3C0)
>
>      any sugestion will be appreciated.

There's nothing in the bitstream format that would prevent arbitrary
concatenation of GOPs. So it's a bug in your code. And since you haven't
posted your code, no one can possibly help.

x264-devel mailing list
x264-devel at videolan.org

 Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com _______________________________________________
x264-devel mailing list