[x264-devel] does x264 not generate PTS values for h.264 stream ??

Mrukant Popat mpopat at pioneer-pra.com
Tue Oct 16 19:53:49 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 10:42 -0600, Loren Merritt wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Mrukant Popat wrote:
>
> > does x264 not generate PTS values for h.264 stream ??
> >
> > I encoded an h.264 raw video using x.264. I muxed this video with AAC
> > audio using ffmpeg and without transcoding it. When I play it using a
> > software decoder like mplayer on my linux PC, it plays well, but when I
> > try to play it back on embedded hardware, I cannot see video and PTS
> > values prints 0 (zero)
>
> h264 raw streams can't contain pts. That's up to the container. And if
> your muxed file plays on a PC, then it does contain PTS.
>
> --Loren Merritt

Hi Loren,

Thanx for your reply. You are right. H.264 contains vop_time_increment
and not pts. But the TS I generated using ffmpeg plays on mplayer, and
not on embedded hardware. Is it that the software decoder i.e. mplayer
just takes the frames in sequence, decodes it and renders it?? (there
are no B frames in this video).
My hardware decoder prints value of PTS as 0 (zero) and does not show
video. Is there any other better TS muxer available for free /opensource
that I can use because, ffmpeg does not seem to be generating PTS in TS
inspite of giving -genpts option. Here is the command line I m using to
generate TS using ffmpeg.

ffmpeg -i raw.264 -i raw.aac -genpts -f mpegts -y -vcodec copy -acodec
copy output.ts

regards,
Mrukant