[x264-devel] h264 header size

Emanuele Fumagalli emanuele.fumagalli at babelgum.com
Wed Oct 17 19:03:09 CEST 2007

Hi all,
hope this is not too of-topic, otherwise please redirect me where can I post the question.

I'm using the x264 library to encode a video for then stream it using a kind of progressive download.
I noticed that when opening the file the decoder requires a large amount of data, up to 1.5 Mb when the file is 1h 30min, and that is proportional to the lenght of the video.
Is there a way to avoid this preload, or is it something necessary for the play of the video?
Or do you know if there's a way to compress it to enable a fast start when streaming?
I think that's because the sample table box is preloaded during the opening of the video, is that necessary for the seeking?
I also noticed that using a High Profile instead of Baseline increases this header around two times.

Thanks for any help on that.
Bye