[x264-devel] recovering by using intra mode on many threads

Con Kolivas kernel at kolivas.org
Wed Apr 16 12:30:38 CEST 2008

Hi all

I'm using a recent snapshot of your sensational x264 encoder
(x264-snapshot-20080403-2245), and to keep a quad core optimally busy I need
to use more than 4 threads (8 seems about optimal). Unfortunately that ends
up giving me lots of errors like this:

mb type: 18
mv: l1r0 (0,116)
limit: 96
mb_xy: 34,4
completed: 88
x264 [warning]: recovering by using intra mode
x264 [warning]: internal error (MV out of thread range)
mb type: 7
mv: l1r0 (0,117)
limit: 96
mb_xy: 35,4
completed: 88
x264 [warning]: recovering by using intra mode
x264 [warning]: internal error (MV out of thread range)

I can make the error go away by using only 4 threads, but alas the speed
difference is substantial. The final video looks flawless as far as I can
tell.

Is this error harmless given the video appears fine, or is it costing me in
bitrate or something?

I hope this bug report can be helpful for you.

Regards,
Con Kolivas

--
-ck